Yes, you can. For short periods of time.
You might live in strapless bras and bandeaus when you’re not breastfeeding. And why not? They are comfy and easy to put on. And you get to wear strapless dresses, tank tops and camis without your bra straps showing.
But when you are breastfeeding, it’s a different story. Your boobs are more needy.
Can I wear a strapless bra while breastfeeding?
Yes, you can. But not all the time.
To answer this question, we need to look at how your boobs change during breastfeeding and what their extra needs are.
How do my breasts change during breastfeeding? And why strapless bras are not enough.
- Breasts increase in size and weight
Your breasts not only increase in size but also fluctuate in size, especially in the first few months of breastfeeding. For the most part, your breasts will be larger and heavier. Strapless bras just don’t have the ability to lift and support your breasts enough.
Without adequate support, you run the risk of back and shoulder aches as well as sagging breasts in the long run.
- Nipple and breast sensitivity
Your breasts, and especially your nipples are exquisitely sensitive during the first few weeks of breastfeeding. Regular strapless bras are usually made of ‘normal fabric’ that might chaff and irritate.
- Milk leaks
You never think about milk leaking through your clothes until you’re a nursing mom. Strapless bras are usually one-layered with no or minimal padding. They are often not enough to catch milk leaks.
What kind of bra should I wear while breastfeeding?
Glad you asked. I highly recommend nursing bras.
Read about the benefits of nursing bras.
If you are used to strapless bras, you would probably feel more comfy with wireless nursing bras.
Check out my recommendations on the best wireless nursing bras.
Other options are nursing camis, bralettes and sports bras. Check out these great alternatives.
- Can I wear an underwire bra while breastfeeding?
- 11 best affordable nursing bras on Amazon
- The best strapless nursing bras and bandeaus for breastfeeding
- The 13 best wireless nursing bras on Amazon
- Best nursing bras for women with large breasts
- How do you breastfeed in a shirt? - January 5, 2022
- Should you wear a nursing bra to bed when breastfeeding? - January 4, 2022
- Why are nursing clothes so expensive? - January 3, 2022